directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Triplesec] [Acegi] How do we work together?
Date Sun, 27 May 2007 17:22:44 GMT
Hi folks,

I wanted to open up a general discussion about working together with the
Acegi folks since they
seem to be interested in using ApacheDS as an embedded LDAP server to back
Acegi policy
information.  Besides this there is a lot of overlap between the guardian
API in Triplesec and
Acegi.

Guardian is an extremely simple API designed to access policy information:
see [0]
for API javadocs.  Guardian is just that an API and can have multiple
implementations backed
by different stores.  For example there is a Guardian driver for LDAP [1]
and one for LDIF [2]
files.  The LDAP driver reads policy information from the directory.  The
LDIF driver reads policy
from an LDIF export of the directory for offline testing and use.  Also note
that the simplicity of
Guardian allows us to implement the API in multiple languages rather easily
so having a C++,
C# or even PERL version of the API working on the same repository is a cake
walk.

I don't know the way Acegi models permissions but it essentially
accomplishes the same goal while
integrating well with Spring.  Perhaps we can get together to work with
these folks on having a common
model and a common API.  The Acegi people can facilitate the Spring
integration while the Triplesec
people help with making sure all this works with ApacheDS whether in Spring
or anywhere else.

There is a lot of duplication of effort that we can save on and furthermore
I think we can grow a larger
community around one common model then resorting to our own API.  What do
others think about
this?

Is anyone interested in taking the lead here as a liason with the Spring
Acegi folks to see how we can
collaborate together?

------
[0] -