directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme
Date Sat, 26 May 2007 00:48:42 GMT

> [X] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me

My primary concern is to have only two branches concurrently managed at a
time:

  (1) a bug fix branch
  (2) a feature introduction branch

This has several advantages.

  (1) feature isolation which makes trouble shooting and documentation of
       features easier to manage.
  (2) makes sure the bug fix branch is asymtotic as a function of releases
       verses the number of bugs in the server.
  (3) allows for massive changes in feature branches during feature
introduction
       without requiring strict adherence to interfaces - developers are
freer to introduce
       more drastic changes without worry.

This scheme accomplishes this just the way the even and odd scheme did
except
it forces a major number increment after each feature introduction cycle
which is
fine.  The other even/odd minor number scheme which we have in place today
did
not presume that the major number needed to be incremented after reaching a
multiple
of 10 on the minor number.  Regardless I think I like the idea of
incrementing the major
number after a feature introduction cycle which could span months with
several feature
releases and large changes to the code which may not be backwards compatible
with
the earlier bug fix branch.

Alex