directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] SASL Branch
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 19:40:19 GMT

> > Enrique,
> >
> > What's all this pid stuff in the configuration beans.  Also why the
> common
> > configuration bean superclass
> > which has a baseDN property?  Some protocol services will not have these
> at
> > all like NTP or HTTP.
>
> PIDs are used by OSGi's Config Admin service.  When a service comes
> online, it identifies itself by PID.  The Config Admin service can
> then find a set of configuration for the PID and inject it into the
> service.  This is how, for example, a protocol service like LDAP can
> store its port in the DIT.

I guess it does not hurt for us to have it here but I did not think we all
agreed to
start adding OSGi stuff into the code just yet.

True, the baseDN isn't used by all services.  But, it was only NTP
> that didn't use it (HTTP is a new requirement) and there are 5 other
> services that do use it.  It can move from 1 base class to 5
> subclasses or you can wait until we have a real story for
> multi-base/multi-realm support.

This is fine.  I guess we just need a different base class for  these 5
special
services where we can pull these additional properties.

We can also do this with OSGi based services as well: having an
OSGiServiceConfiguration
base class that extends from the ServiceConfiguration and adds all this PID
stuff.

Alex