directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Version Numbering scheme] was: Version numbering and roadmap planning
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 12:33:45 GMT
Emmanuel,

This 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 etc feature introduction branches along with 1.0, 2.0,
3.0
for the stable bug fix branch is alright by me.  Really to me the goal is to
be able to have a branch where only new features are introduced and another
where we just make bug fixes.  New features can destabilize the server even
though it has not yet.  This scheme is just the same to me as using the
odd/even
scheme.  Perhaps the odd/even scheme is a tiny bit more preferrable because
people can relate to the Linux way to understand this.  However I really
like this
1.5 schema because the message is a bit clearer that we're transitioning
from
one stable bug fix branch to the next.

Effectively both are the same for me.

However let me clarify why I personally like to have a feature release
branch and
a separate bug fix branch.

1. New features may destabilize the server
2. New features also may change interfaces
3. Feature branches buffer users from drastic compatibility changes like in
the partition format
4. Also it's easier to track the generational differences between stable
releases which simplifies
    the maintenance, and the documentation.

So this is why a feature release branch is a good idea for me.  However
there are some
disadvantages as well.

1. Users perceive the feature release branches as buggy when they are not
necessarily unstable
2. Users have to wait longer for stable releases of the features they want
and may not opt to use
    releases from the unstable branch

There may be more but perhaps others can add to both these lists with their
own pros and cons.

Alex