directory-dev mailing list archives

From Quanah Gibson-Mount <qua...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: Building an LDAP server is not an easy task (was: Re: [ApacheDS Webapps] Use Cases)
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 21:41:52 GMT

--On May 21, 2007 5:34:45 PM -0400 Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>
wrote:

> LDAP servers today do no justice to the technology.  I think we have a
> chance to bring this protocol to the
> 21st century.
>
> Eventually we'll be at the same level as other servers out there.  And
> hopefully those other efforts will start to
> take LDAP where we want it to go just because they want to remain
> competitive with our feature set.

I've discussed various feature enhancements to LDAP in general with Howard
Chu over the years.  One of the major problems is if you want to stay RFC
compliant or not.  The way in which the protocol was written makes it
particularly difficult to add new features while remaining compliant (that
is in large part why the overlay system was developed for OpenLDAP).  What
I've suggested a few times, is to throw away LDAP and start over with
something new (What I generally call SDAP or SMART DAP).  Of course, then
one would no longer have an LDAP server, and I'm guessing corporate vendors
would be slow to adopt (given the slow pace of their LDAP v3 adoption
already...).

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount