directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HOWTO: start DNS provider? (Version 1.0.1)
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 20:16:14 GMT
On 5/18/07, Ravshan Kosimov <ravshan@linux-online.ru> wrote:
>  I'm researching possibility of using Apache DS as DNS server.
>  How I understood DNS provider should started as standalone application.
>  I wrote next small program (in attachment).

I'm impressed.  You actually got pretty far with some very alpha code.
 If you're looking to run a DNS server, ours is in a very early state.
 However, if you want to help with development that would be great and
you are on the right track.

>  What I'm doing wrong?
>  Partition "dc=example,dc=com" exists, but it empty, I don't know what
> insert to it. If reason in it, can you send me example dns ldif file?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  You just need to set the
base DN for searches (where resource records will be read from) and
you need to know the relevant objectClass setup or sample LDIF to load
some entries.  I will work on finding existing documentation or I will
write something new this weekend.

One note, the DNS server will start and server records just fine but
not many features are implemented beyond that.

Enrique