directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Cost of interceptors
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 06:57:43 GMT
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Enrique is adding 2-3 new interceptors into the core.  I guess they
> could be
> conditionally added in the configuration based on the presence of the
> kerberos service or whatever service needed them.  Hmmm me thinks this
> is a
> good example of how services can use the add/remove capabilities on the
> interceptor chain.  Regardless I was wondering what the costs are on
> going
> through these interceptor call chains.  I remember you did some metrics
> around this and found that it does not cost much at all.
>
> Alex

Alex,

interceptors by themselves does not cost a lot. I would say that the
ratio proce/functionalities is perfectly acceptable. Being able to add
new interceptors is such a great advantage that we must be ready to pay
a small price for it.

I would say that the global interceptor price is around 1.5% of the
whole time spent into the server, during a search operation, if you
exclude the cost of interceptor's operations (I mean, if the
interceptors where just empty, the cost would be 1.5%).

However, if there are costly operations occuring in those interceptors,
then this is another story...

Which interceptors will be added ?

Emmanuel