directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers
Date Sun, 27 May 2007 15:32:11 GMT
David Jencks a écrit :

> Does this really happen even if you have specified the version for
> each plugin in all poms?  Not specifying the plugin version is
> certainly an invitation to disaster :-)

I don't agree, David, it's *not* an invitation to disaster, it's a
direct disaster :) - and we experienced it more than once ... :(

I will just smooth a litte bit the prerequisite : if you use the
PluginManagement and DependencyManagement sections in the top level
poms, then you don't need to declare the versions in all the pom. Btw,
declaring plugins/dependencies in all the poms is also a problem, if you
have, like we have, around 50 pom files : sooner or later, you will use
N versions of the same plugin/dependency, something you want to avoid
like plague ...

Maven is powerfull, but needs a lot of wizdom to be able to avoid all
the traps you can be caught in... (or maybe a better doco? ;)

IMHO, Emmanuel.