directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building an LDAP server is not an easy task (was: Re: [ApacheDS Webapps] Use Cases)
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 21:29:21 GMT
Mark Swanson a écrit :

> I'd like to chime in and say that the existing architecture enabled me
> to implement a form of triggers, stored procs, dynamic views, and a
> new way of handling indexes.  Also, thanks to the flexibility of the
> design I was able to implement an entirely new back end (partition)
> based on an existing replicated clustered caching system.

Thanks a lot :)

> The point I'm trying to make is that I have no idea how I would have
> accomplished this without ADS. To be useful to me an LDAP server has
> to be extensible. ADS is extensible in exactly the way I (a humble
> software developer just trying to get LDAP stuff to work) needs it to be.

That's a great news for us that you successfully implemented what you
needed using ADS. We just designed this server (I say 'we', but this was
mainly Alex hard work !) to allow users to extend it to a point it fits
their needs.

Thank you very much for having validating the vision Alex had 5 years
ago, and that we are now trying to stabilize and carry to the next big
step : ADS in production all obver the world :)

> Thank you (ADS developers) for making ADS.

And thanks again to you (ADS users) for making ADS being used,
discovering bugs that the next users won't have as soon as we will fix
them. Apache is just about this : developper and users, and also users
becoming committers to help new users, and so on!

Feel free to participate to the effort, Mark !

Emmanuel