directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Swanson <m...@ScheduleWorld.com>
Subject Re: Building an LDAP server is not an easy task (was: Re: [ApacheDS Webapps] Use Cases)
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 20:42:09 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Yes we will get there and it takes time.  However building an LDAP
> server is very difficult and making sure
> it is extensible while making it reliable and fast is beyond rocket
> science.   Our architecture is designed for
> flexibility and we will see LDAP acquire new concepts that have existed
> in the RDBMS world for years now.
> LDAP will see a day when it has triggers, stored procedures, views and
> queues very soon to make it more
> useful than ever.

I'd like to chime in and say that the existing architecture enabled me
to implement a form of triggers, stored procs, dynamic views, and a new
way of handling indexes.  Also, thanks to the flexibility of the design
I was able to implement an entirely new back end (partition) based on an
existing replicated clustered caching system.

The point I'm trying to make is that I have no idea how I would have
accomplished this without ADS. To be useful to me an LDAP server has to
be extensible. ADS is extensible in exactly the way I (a humble software
developer just trying to get LDAP stuff to work) needs it to be.

Thank you (ADS developers) for making ADS.

Cheers.

--
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
Free Google Calendar synchronization with Outlook, Evolution,