directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Using Apache ds in a web application - user names, passwords
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 13:48:10 GMT

Ceren KOKSAL wrote:
SNIP

> My problem about the application is that, users will log on the apache
> ds by a web application using a web browser.

SNIP
See
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/realm-howto.html#JNDIRealm

There's also a Tomcat and ApacheDS article
under articles at http://directory.apache.org, although
I still need to look at that.

> In java code, while connecting to the server, I'm using below
> code sample.Users will have user names and passwords.How they will
> connect to the apache ds, using their own user names and passwords?

First you need to create accounts for the users,
under for example:
cn=accounts, cn=my, cn=or, ou=mycustompartition

uid=joe,   cn=accounts, cn=my, cn=or, ou=mycustompartition
uid=dick,  cn=accounts, cn=my, cn=or, ou=mycustompartition
uid=harry, cn=accounts, cn=my, cn=or, ou=mycustompartition

Then you set Tomcat to authenticate against these entries.

> Will
> it be like that, I'll connect to apache ds using the sample code
> below.And then I'll take the user's password and user name , I'll check
> if they are right or not.If right, I'll give permission to make
> operations on directory.If not, I will not.

Yap...so you need something like triplesec to authorize operations
post login.

> Or will the users connect to
> the directory server with their own user names and passwords without
> using the below code and the below security options?I hope my question
> is clear:) Thanks a lot..

I believe your initial connection for Tomcat uses the below code,
and then once that connection is Tomcat figures out how to do the
rest per your configuration of the JNDI connection.

SNIP

Cheers,
- Ole