directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 19:35:25 GMT
OK - Now I'm getting all mixed up
about whether I should change the heading or not.

I'm going to trust Emmanuel's judgement, and just leave it.

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ole Ersoy a écrit :

SNIPPING the SNIP

> I see at least one obvious use-case : embedding ADS allow you to avoid
> network costs because ADS will be adressed directly. This will allow the
> app to use the full power of ADS, at full speed, which is really a good
> use case. But there are many more...

Hmmm - So I assume then that
that even though the webapp
and ADS are running on the same
host the webapp that runs with
ADS embedded will run faster than the
one connecting to ApacheDS via JDNI?

I also assume that we're talking a significant
improvement like 5 to 10 % faster.

>> If the webapp can be made independent of apacheds,
>
> All the webapps adressing a Ldap server through JNDI or any other LDAP
> api are independant of ADS, even if you use ADS beside the J2EE
> container. This was the general case until ADS brought an embedded LDAP
> server to users.

Sure.

>> this can
>> turn on other contributors that are not
>> currently ApacheDS core contributors, but really like the functionality
>> in the webapp and want to help make it better.
>
> But this is the common case ! I don't really see exactly what you are
> thinking of. What I see is that you have only two cases :
> - ADS embedded
> - ADS beside the server, but then it is seen as a standard LDAP server,
> running in its own JVM. Nothing new under the sun (tm), so far...

I'm thinking ADS beside the server running the webapp.
So the webapp connects to ADS via JNDI.
But if there is performance to be gained from
embedding ADS within the webapp then that of coarse is very valid.

> Do you have something else in mind ?

The only thing I had in mind was to separate
the application layer from the data store,
through an integration layer so as to maintain
modularity and make each piece appeal to as many
people as possible.

For low volume applications like administration, etc.
this makes sense because more people can use the webapp,
thus more people will be interested in improving it,
and performance is a fairly minor consideration.

On the other hand if the webapp is a phone directory
and gazillions of connections are made per second then
maybe embedding is a good thing.  This is why I asked about
the percentage gain in performance via embedding vs.
JNDI on the same host.

The main thing I was trying to high light was that there
could be a developer interest cost to embedding,
so choosing the right set of use cases is important.

Cheers,
- Ole