directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 19:17:07 GMT
Ole Ersoy a écrit :

> SNIP
>
>>     If the webapps are as modular and independent from ApacheDS as
>> possible,
>>     it would maximize developer interest and momentum.
>>

>> If you are talking about having a webapp which does not embed ADS,
>> then this is not the good ML to talk about it : try Geronimo ML or
>> tomcat ML ;)
>> If you are thinking about communication between a webapp and a
>> LdapServer outside the container, then JNDI is the key.
>

> What I'm really talking about are use cases and how they can be
> satisfied.
>
> We know we can embed ApacheDS in a webapp.
> The question is what use case does this satisfy?

I see at least one obvious use-case : embedding ADS allow you to avoid
network costs because ADS will be adressed directly. This will allow the
app to use the full power of ADS, at full speed, which is really a good
use case. But there are many more...

> If the webapp can be made independent of apacheds,

All the webapps adressing a Ldap server through JNDI or any other LDAP
api are independant of ADS, even if you use ADS beside the J2EE
container. This was the general case until ADS brought an embedded LDAP
server to users.

> this can
> turn on other contributors that are not
> currently ApacheDS core contributors, but really like the functionality
> in the webapp and want to help make it better.

But this is the common case ! I don't really see exactly what you are
thinking of. What I see is that you have only two cases :
- ADS embedded
- ADS beside the server, but then it is seen as a standard LDAP server,
running in its own JVM. Nothing new under the sun (tm), so far...

Do you have something else in mind ?

Emmanuel