directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS Webapps] Use Cases
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 18:58:39 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Ole Ersoy wrote:
>>
>> We know we can embed ApacheDS in a webapp.
>> The question is what use case does this satisfy?
>
> None in production, I am afraid. The example in the docs is about how to
> embed ApacheDS as a web application, just for the sake of demonstration.
>
> Although I know developers, who run a Tomcat test environment within
> Eclipse, and now run ApacheDS within Tomcat within Eclipse as a test
> environment.

That's cool.  Wish I had more time to play with cool stuff like that.

>> Then if embedding ApacheDS is the only way to go
>> by all means do it.
>>
>> If the webapp can be made independent of apacheds, this can
>> turn on other contributors that are not
>> currently ApacheDS core contributors, but really like the functionality
>> in the webapp and want to help make it better.
>
> This would in fact be an interesting option, although web applications
> to administer LDAP directory content in general already exist (in PHP,
> for instance). IBM Tivoli Directory Server only ships with such a WebApp
> as graphical frontend. By the way, it is Tivoli specific and closed
> source ;-).

Yeah - Would be great if they would just drop the whole thing
and go with something superior like ADS :-).  They did it with
Geronimo, now it's ADS's turn.

> Another nice subproject would be a portlet, especially for integration
> into Geronimo admin application. There are synergies with the WebApp,
> obviously. So many ideas ... :-)

Indeed.  Yes - I was thinking more along these lines as well.
I imagine these types of webapps would be really popular with
the Geronimo duds and would help bring more attention and visibility
to ApacheDS.

Cheers,
- Ole

SNIP