directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 18:43:25 GMT
Ole Ersoy wrote:

> We know we can embed ApacheDS in a webapp.
> The question is what use case does this satisfy?

None in production, I am afraid. The example in the docs is about how to
embed ApacheDS as a web application, just for the sake of demonstration.

Although I know developers, who run a Tomcat test environment within
Eclipse, and now run ApacheDS within Tomcat within Eclipse as a test
environment.

> Then if embedding ApacheDS is the only way to go
> by all means do it.
>
> If the webapp can be made independent of apacheds, this can
> turn on other contributors that are not
> currently ApacheDS core contributors, but really like the functionality
> in the webapp and want to help make it better.

This would in fact be an interesting option, although web applications
to administer LDAP directory content in general already exist (in PHP,
for instance). IBM Tivoli Directory Server only ships with such a WebApp
as graphical frontend. By the way, it is Tivoli specific and closed
source ;-).

Another nice subproject would be a portlet, especially for integration
into Geronimo admin application. There are synergies with the WebApp,
obviously. So many ideas ... :-)

Greetings,
     Stefan