directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 17:44:43 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 5/21/07, *Ole Ersoy* <ole.ersoy@gmail.com
> <mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If someone wants to disable
>     the HTTP service completely by turning
>     it off, saving memory, etc. will this be possible?
>

> Obviously, yes.
Rock On!

SNIP

> So far, the JVM use the memory as a whole, even if you have many
> containers. If tomcat or jetty sucks all the memory, then you are dead.

I guess if a shop has Tomcat and wants to run Tomcat
only, as long as the webapps are independent of the container,
they can just drop them in.

Hence they would not incur any extra memory cost from running Jetty
as well.

For instance if a shop running Germonimo wanted to run the webapps,
all the instructions would need to say is "Drop in the webapps", start
ApacheDS with Jetty turned off, and you're set.

If the webapps are as modular and independent from ApacheDS as possible,
it would maximize developer interest and momentum.

>     Also - Some shops already run Tomcat or other web containers,
>     and they may prefer dropping in the ApacheDS webapps, rather
>     that having ADS start yet another container.
>

> This is a totally different concern. Nothing forbid you to create a
> webapp including an embedded ADS. This has already been done (I had two
> student this year who provided such a webapp). We wanted to embed a
> container so that we don't depend on any other container if we want to
> offer DSML through HTTP, standalone. Having to setup N product when you
> want to play with ADS and DSML is not very convenient.

Absolutely.  I see how this makes it really simple for
peeps who want to play with ApacheDS and webapps, without
reading 500 pages of Apache Tomcat Bible :-)

> However, the idea of building a standalone webapp with ADS embedded is
> not stupid, and woth to spend some time on it. Wanna do it ?

As soon as I'm done with the DAS (At least reading and writing graphs)
I need to start on a webapp that demos DAS capabilities
for ApacheDS.  That might fit well with the type of effort being
considered.  The DAS's connection manager connects to ADS and uses
it just like an RDB DAS would use a RDB.  So the WebApp
would be focused on a simple static or dynamic (Since SDO supports
dynamic real time modeling and open types) model and be completely
decoupled from ApacheDS via the DAS.

Cheers,
- Ole