directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 16:33:21 GMT
If someone wants to disable
the HTTP service completely by turning
it off, saving memory, etc. will this be possible?

OT - Just something that popped in as I was thinking about this
Suppose the only thing a user wishes
to run is the LDAP protocol.  Can the server
be configured to run such that it minimizes the memory footprint?
Maybe it already does...I just thought I'd mention it.
We should start a new thread if anyone wishes to discuss this.
I'm just injecting it in this context for awareness.

If the webapps are created and run
separately in a servlet container
then the memory footprint concern goes away,
at least for the Servlet container.
Also the servlet container could be started
separately as required, taking care of the
XML Schema concern.

Also - Some shops already run Tomcat or other web containers,
and they may prefer dropping in the ApacheDS webapps, rather
that having ADS start yet another container.

The directory that JPackage uses
(So I assume it's FHS) for webapps is
/var/lib/webapps

Cheers,