directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][RPM] Layout and uninstall concerns (was: Re: [Installer] rpm -e update)
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 05:57:40 GMT
Chris Custine a écrit :

> Just to clarify a couple of things, the correct dir for ApacheDS data on
> Linux distros is /var/lib/apacheds.

I agree. Having the data in /usr/local is not really usual. When you set
up a Linux partition, you set /var/libn wide enough to handle data.

> If you look at any install of MySQL or
> Postgres, they use /var/lib for the base.  As far as the instances,
> this is
> to support running multiple instances (not versions) of ApacheDS (like
> different ports, different partition configs, etc.) but all using the
> same
> install image in /usr/local.

Agreed again.

> I am also working on getting it so that you
> can run each instance with different JVM parameters or even different
> JVM's
> alltogether.

Man, I love you ! This is something I really want to have, as I'm
sometime doing some benchmarks with all the different versions of ADS,
and it's painfull to have to modify the daemon conf to use different
versions and different JVMs. I can easily manage different version, but
switching the JVM is a little bit painfull atm.

> At this point, I am not addressing multiple versions of
> ApacheDS on one machine, but if that becomes something that people
> want we
> can look at it, however I think the partition DB versioning will be a
> mess
> so its probably not worth doing.

Well, the main problem I see is that if the daemon has different names,
then it become a problem to support (the mailing list will be full of
"Your doco say my daemon's name should be apacheDS but mine is
apacheDS-1.0.2 ..."). However, we should be able to run more than one
ADS on a single machine, just because you might want to upgrade from 1.0
to 2.0, for instance. As the data may be stored differently, you will
have to do a migration, having both data on the same place.

Thanks Chris to address all those points ! This will help a lot our user
(and us too :)

Emmanuel