directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spring LDAP 1.2 RC1
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 19:08:55 GMT
That would really rock if they agree.

We talked about cleaning up
shared-ldap a while back.

I think if we find a common approach
that all developers could agree on,
then shared-ldap could become a great utility
for all of us.

My suggestion was basically take everything
out of the closet and put everything back nice
and neat according to predefined standards (Testing,
naming conventions, etc.)

I suggested using a new closet to house cleaned
code so that we know what's been cleaned up, although
it's still the same closet (Just a digital replication of it :-) )

This enables developers to proceed at their leisure,
both in refactoring the existing server code
to use the "Cleaned" utilities and adding more utilities.

Anyways I think if we get all our ideas down,
create a checklist out of those, and
create the "Ideal" concept for shared utilities
it will be easy for other developers to come on board.

Maybe we should invite them to that type of discussion?

 From our previous discussion it sounded like
people would rather recreate the wheel than
poke through shared-ldap so visibility and simplicity
of searching the code should be a major priority,
making use the library as attractive as possible.

Jakarta Commons has a pretty good model for that I think.
Maybe we should identify the gap with shared-ldap and
make that an initial target, and then encourage other
developers to improve that target?  For instance with
spring the ldap stuff is front and center.  We should probably
have something similar...so mina, ads, shared-ldap, etc...

If we think it's a good idea, I'd be glad to nudge them,
although they may feel even more encouraged if it comes from
someone with more ADS history (Emmanuel - Alex hint hint :-) ).

Cheers,
- Ole