directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Felix is now a TLP
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 15:11:13 GMT
It may be beneficial to
do new features and OSGi migration
in parallel, this way new features
are already OSGi compliant, which
means less work migrating them later.

This applies especially with respect
to the reworked RPM installer, which
I think would work like this (And I think
the approach is similar for other ADS
services and features, except for the commons-daemon part):

Bundles need to be created out of all dependencies that ADS
uses.

Then the "main" server class that starts ADS needs a Bundle
Activator class that is specified in its manifest.
This class has start and stop methods, so all of ADS's initialization
would take place in start, and cleanup in stop.

It also needs "Import-Package" properties for all its
direct dependencies, and if services have a corresponding
service interface the "Export-Package" needs to be added
to the manifest as well.  The same goes for all other
ADS direct and transitive dependencies.

So commons daemon would first start the OSGi container,
the container would load all the services, and the daemon
would then call methods on Felix that start and stop
ADS via ADS's activator class.

Cheers,
- Ole