directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 15:34:52 GMT
Yeah, I was pretty sure that there would be some major pain involved in
that...  I still propose that in the long run we make this a build
documentation issue and tell people that if they build from SVN that they
need to check out and build the top level project at least once before they
do iterative builds on a specific module.  Checking out a sub-tree of the
trunk and expecting that part to build seems like an edge case to me.

Chris

> Guys,
>
> I have cleant up the shared sub-project so that each dependency is used
> with its correct version (version will be declared for each plugin), and
> each maven-plugin has been declared with its version too.
>
> I have modified some more things too:
> - as shared depends on a parent project (the 1.0.7-SNAPSHOT), there is a
> problem if you want to build shared alone while you don't have any jars in
> your .m2/repository. So I removed the reference to the TLP pom.xml in the
> shared pom.xml. As the TLP pom.xml stilll contains shared as a module,
> this is not a big deal. However, doing that, I also had to move the junit
> dependency from TLP pom.xml to shared pom.xml
> - I removed all the report from shared/convert, ldap and ldap-constants.
> They are useless atm
> - I also upgraded all the dependencies and plugin to their latest version
> (antlr 2.7.7, etc)
>
> I think that the TLP pom.xml should not contain any information about
> dependencies and plugins, as it is just a global start. If you want to be
> able to build shared, or daemon, or apacheds, standalone, you must not
> depend on this TLP pom, IMHO.
>
> We should also try to use always the same version of each plugin and
> dependency, which is quite a PITA to do, as we use around 70 of them in our
> 40 subprojects... What I have done for shared should be done for apacheds
> and daemon, and it takes a hell of time !
>

> On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu < akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ahhh ok well then we may just need to remove the snapshot plugin repos
> > and figure out a workaround
> > for anything we have in our build that may need them legitimately.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > On 5/21/07, Chris Custine <chris.custine@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > No, I totally understand.  I just have a bit of a personal thing about
> > > using the maven snapshot repo for plugins because of the general craziness
> > > that results once in a while (like what was happening with Stefan this
> > > weekend).  I think versioning the plugins will help for out project, but
> > > everyone has to realize that this can affect other projects as well, because
> > > once the SNAPSHOT plugin is downloaded to the local repo, any other project
> > > will use that one too even if they didn't ask for the snapshot repo for
> > > plugins.  This is my main compaint with using snapshot repo for plugins.
> > >
> > > CC

I use the snapshots

 I think we

SVN code, then you