directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Installer] Reading Over Some Of The Improvement JIRA Notes
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 16:38:16 GMT

> Chris Custine wrote:
> > If you do su then your $USER will still be "ole", but if you do "su -"
> > to invoke a login shell, then $USER will be "root".
>
> Ah - Cool - Good Tip!  Thanks!
>
> > Either way, you
> > would still have effective root privileges and you should be able to
> > write to the dir, but the problem is that the script tells jsvc to use
> > the current $USER value at the time you run the script.
>
> Hmmm...I always run the script after "su" ing...but
> I still get the permission denied.  If I
> edit apacheds replacing $USER with "root" then it works fine.

Right, but like I said above, if you just su, then your $USER is still "ole"
and the apacheds.sh script tells jsvc to run and launch the java proc as
"ole".  So I normally do what you are doing and explicitly set APACHEDS_USER
to a value (I use "apacheds" and have permissions set accordingly).  In
order for su to work, you would have to use "su -" and then it would work...