directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Martin Alderson (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Commented: (DIRSERVER-933) Slow searches using a non-indexed attribute in a filter
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 10:24:16 GMT


Martin Alderson commented on DIRSERVER-933:

Hi guys, thanks for the prompt response.

We need one extra change on top of what Emmanuel has done.  In
at line 250 we now have:
  value = ( ( Long ) child.get( "count" ) ).intValue();
This needs to be 
  value = ( ( Long ) child.get( "count" ) ).longValue();
to avoid the integer overflow.

I have tested with this extra change and it works well (i.e. the scope is taken into account
before matching with the non-indexed attributes in the search filter).

> Slow searches using a non-indexed attribute in a filter
> -------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: DIRSERVER-933
>                 URL:
>             Project: Directory ApacheDS
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: core
>    Affects Versions: 1.5.0
>            Reporter: Martin Alderson
>            Priority: Critical
>             Fix For: 1.5.1
> When searching for entries in a specific container with a filter such as (cn=*) and the
cn attribute is not indexed, the server has to test each entry in the partition even when
the search has been restricted to a container.
> As an example of how bad this could be - if a partition contains millions of entries
and the user does a search in that partition within a container that only contains 1 of those
entries, every entry in the partition is checked in turn even though the server knows there
is only one entry within the specified container.
> This is due to the search optimizer which annotates each part of the filter with the
number of entries that match where it can.  For those it can't (such as with attributes that
are not indexed) this 'count' will default to Long.MAX_VALUE - to indicate that it is the
worst case.  (See
> When these count annotations are checked to decide which part of the filter to use first
they are dropped down to integers which means the items with the worst case value of Long.MAX_VALUE
become -1 -- effectively making them the best case.  (See
> Disclaimer: I have not done any performance testing on this.  I just noticed the problem
while stepping through the code with a debugger.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

View raw message