directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONSTANTS] Changing AT and OC
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:27:32 GMT
Hi Stefan,

> Although I am also still a newbie within the code, I do not like to
> change the constant names. They are defined in public
> interfaces/classes, and we do not know whether there are users out there
> which use these constants in their custom partitions, custom
> interceptors etc.

This is so right !

We were lucky here, because I just pushed the classes quite recently, but
it's now in the 1.5.0 code base...

Those constants are related to the new dynamic Schema, so I guess it's too
late to change them, as they are already used by LdapStudio and other
projects.

If we rename the constants, we have at least to leave them with the old
> names in the class, mark them as deprecated in order to give these
> ApacheDS users a chance to refactor their code, and remove them in a
> later release.

Exactly.

By the way, I like "TOP_OBJECT_CLASS" better than "TOP_OC", my personal
> favorite would be "TOP_OBJECTCLASS", but as Emmanuel already pointed
> out: It works, so why should we change it? "TOP_OC" is clear enough,
> although it lacks javadoc (which could be "name of objectClass top").

Sure. Let's add Javadoc then, I was lazzy when I created the classes : I
added a simple comment when a javadoc would have been better.

Stefan, it's a pleasure to have you in the team :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,