directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONSTANTS] Changing AT and OC
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:08:19 GMT

> SNIP
>
> > PS. There are two unwritten rules you should always think about before
> > proposing a change :
> > - if it's not broken, don't fix it
> > - respect existing conventions even if you don't like them
>
> Emmanuel, initially you liked the suggested change.
> David seems to like it as well.  The reason
> I'm mentioning this  is above you are saying

I said, 'do it', then alex said don't. And he explained why. I respect Alex
rationals, and I may have said 'do' a little bit too quickly. My bad.

> - respect existing conventions even if you don't like them
>
> What does that mean exactly (In terms of the current context)?

This is a general rule, and it's not targeting you. It's for everyone, me
included. The perfect example is that I should not have told you 'go'
without asking Alex before.

Also, if it's not broken don't fix is VERY ambiguous.
> Lets just stick to facts and concepts ok?  Communicate clearly
> and simply with examples if necessary.

Just a general sentence. I try to say 'focus on serious issues'. We are
still waiting the RPM packager you promized month ago, and DAS is serious
business too. Don't get lost in small details. Keep the good work on, keep
focus on DAS, you are close to a good solution, I think.

You said do it.  Alex said don't do it.

> This is a democracy.  We all have to agree before
> something is done.  That means we have to discuss
> it and make sure everyone has clearly understood each other's
> rationale.

Sometime it's a litle bit more complicated. This is a meritocracy. Alex
merit is enormous, and we should respect that. Even if he is wrong, he
deserves respect. We all owe him a lot, because he started this project.
When he says "don't", I back him, just because Alex is 99% right, when i'm
only 50%. I won't fight for the 1%, if it's not important.

Now, we can discuss things, but this is not because we don't agree that you
are right. (Churchill)

> > I should have asked Alex before telling you to move on. My bad.
> >
> True.

Yep. Shit happens. We do mistake, all of us. I'm sorry if you have to revert
code you have already changed, and spoiled time.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,