directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <>
Subject Re: [LDAPStudio]LDAP core functions
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:49:43 GMT

On 4/10/07, "Mehmet D. Akın" <> wrote:
> Hi,
> We are planning to write a management application in which we need to
> manipulate and query data on a LDAP server. Things like user, groups
> computer and software configurations  will be in the repository and our
> program will be a graphical user interface to manipulate and query these
> specific data. (Something like Microsoft's Active directory console, but
> ours will be for a Linux distro..)

That's a great news. There is a lack of product like this out there.

LDAP Studio provides perfect schema definition and querying
> capabilities, and it allready has lots of boilerplate code like ldif,
> query and schema parsers.

Be aware that those schema parsers are applied to OpenLdap syntax files

What I am asking is, Is it possible to use
> this core functions out of the studio, There are some LDAP Java SDK's
> like OpenLDAP Java SDK, Mozilla's LDAP SDK etc.

The short answer is: yes. However, as the documentation is spare, you will
have to dive into the junit tests to see hao to use the API. We don't have -
yet- a fully documented API like ldapj, even if we are seriously thinking
about it. At the moment, what you need is stored in shared-ldap sub-project,
with many utility classes.

I am quite confused by
> options here. Would it makes sense writing our schema editor modules as
> Eclipse plugins and deploy them with LDAP Studio , there by having both
> low level access to LDAP and specific management GUI's for our own schema?

I'm not sure what you really want to do. LdapStudio is basically a RCP
application, in which you have currently two plugins : a ldap browser, and a
schema editor. Those two plugins can be used directly in eclipse if needed.
The best solution for you would be to design your own plugin, and you can
perfectly use and modify the plugin to create a new one.

Hope it helps,

Emmanuel Lécharny
View raw message