directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][Partition] Using surrogate keys for attributeType aliases and objectClass aliases (was Re: [SCHEMA] Can two different LDAP AttributeType's have the same name?)
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:47:19 GMT

> <snip/>
> A little later I need to break it down further
> so that I understand the whole process from
> a sequence Diagram view point.

The sequene diagram will not fit on a A-3 page (note  I didn't used A3 : A4
< A3 < A2... < A0 < A-1 < A-2 < A-3 etc...) (bwt, the largest available
format for paper is A0 atm, and Ai = 4xA(i+1) ...)

<snip/>

> <snip/>

> My goal is to keep the 200M entries in Memory.

Forget about the idea to store 200 M entries in memory. This is just
impossible. An entry is around 1Kbytes, and you won't ever have a 200 Gb mem
server ...

So I want to have them as compact as possible.
> When I write the entries using JNDI I'm using
>
> org.apache.tuscany.DASConfig.baseDN as the attribute
> key for one of the entry values.
>
> However I would much rather store something shorter
> than this in memory, like "1".
>
> I think you are saying the OID name alias,
> org.apache.tuscany.DASConfig.baseDN, gets switched
> out with the OID by the server.
>
> So instead of storing
>
> [org.apache.tuscany.DASConfig.baseDN, myValue]
>
> in memory, it stores:
>
> [1.24l2.3.4.2.4, myValue]

This is something that will be available in 2.0. We have discussed about it
with Alex those last three months, and I think we will have a level of
indirection. Basically, if you have 500 attributeTypes, pointing on 200M
entries, then you will have a N-N relation between AT and entries. This will
be solved with an intermediate table, with Longs in it :
AT-Long / entry-Long
where AT-long represent the AtttributeType unique ID into ADS and the very
same for Entry-long

This is explained here :
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Backend

--