directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DAS OID GENERATION] Things that make you go hmmmm
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:37:22 GMT

> Good idea Emmanuel.  Permit me to extend on this a bit ...
>
> Perhaps instead of getting really long OIDs you can use instead compute a
> hashCode from the suffix and just concat that as the
> least significant OID term.  For example:
>
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2.org.tuscany.das.ldap.config.DASConfig.baseDN
>
> Can be the following valid OID if the hashCode for
> org.tuscany.das.ldap.config.DASConfig.baseDN is 123456:
>
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2.123456
>
> WDYT?

Well, I thought about it, but it may break the 'worldwide' characteristics :
you can't guaranty that this hashcode will be unique. But if you just split
each word, and compute an hashcode for each of them, the odds that you break
rhis rule is 0 :
1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2."org".hashcode()."tuscany".hashcode(). ... etc

Alex

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny