directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DAS OID GENERATION] Things that make you go hmmmm
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:11:37 GMT
Ole, David,

when I woke up this morning, under my shower, I had the idea I missed
yesturday evening  due to the bottle of wine I drunk ... - : why don't you
use the ascii value of each character to code your OID, postfixing your PEN
? Something like :
1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2.org.tuscany.das.ldap.config.DASConfig.baseDN will
be transformed to :
1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2 (the prefix, where X is a number) .111.114.103.46.
... (111 = 'o', 114='r', 103='g', 46 = '.', etc)

you will have very long OIDs, but this is not really a problem, and thy will
be unique worldwilde because the prefix is assigned to your company, and you
will have to manage the suffix (it's up to you to use correct packages...)

> I would prefer to see a solution that mapped java objects to existing
> schemas, and perhaps has a way to generate schemas with oids, but it
> seems to me that autogeneration of something that is supposed to be
> worldwide unique and meaningful may cause more difficulties than it
> solves.

The worldwide OID will be enforced through the prefix (and management in the
project :)

For instance you'd need a way to reserve a unique PEN for each
> installation on which you wanted to run this stuff.

That's very true. But if you use ADS in a company,  then this company should
have a PEN (at least in theory: as there are only 28389 attributed PEN as of
today ...).

dunno, I'm kinda a beginner.

you should be kidding ;)

thanks