directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question on schema elements in documentation: OIDs for examples?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:04:19 GMT
Hi Stefan,

> Hi all!
>
> I have started a little text for newbies on how to add custom elements
> to the schema with the help of the new schema subsystem of ApacheDS.
> First of all: I works fine to add elements with standard JNDI methods,
> well done, Alex!

Thanks :).

My first attempts for the text can be found here:

> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Add+your+first+elements+to+the+schema

Cool doco as usual Stefan.

I plan to make this an introduction section to the schema topic in the
> Advanced User's Guide of ApacheDS 1.5, although there is obviously still
> some work to do. Any feedback on the current structure and state of the
> section is therefore highly appreciated! I am a newbie on this schema
> subsystem as well.

Sure I will take a good pass on the doco and see if I can help out.

SNIP ...

> Should I use obvious fun data like 9.9.9.9.9.1 and 9.9.9.9.9.2, describe
> the idea of OIDs and that a user should normally obtain a unique
> starting point?
>
> Or should I use something which starts with 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0 and add
> it on the list. Perhaps we can add a branch for documentation examples.
>
> What do you think?

Yeah this is a good idea.  I added a schema OID branch for the doco
examples schema specifically for this purpose.  Here is where we manage this

stuff:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxPMGT/oid-assignment-scheme.html

So your branch for documentation examples is: 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.3

HTH,
Alex