directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Partitions] Use Cases
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:37:07 GMT

> Hey Guys,
>
> I was thinking about how the DAS could work
> without users having to configure new partitions
> when wanting to store something like:
>
> ou=Accounts, ou=users, ou=example, ou=com
>
> My first thought was to have the DAS user
> add a new partition with
>
> DN: ou=com
>
> But that seems like
> a lot of additional effort to ask users
> to expend, if they don't want to change the
> partition implementation.
>
> So what the DAS do is use a pre-configured
> partition, like system.  Then it would

Ole system is not to be touched by users.  It is a very special partition.
There is a programmatic way to add a new partition to ApacheDS without
having to deal with the server.xml configuration file.  Just take a look at
this presentation which has information on how to do this programmatically:

http://directory.apache.org/community%26resources/embedding-apacheds.html

just add the entries ou=com, etc. under system.

Not a good idea.

Alex