directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Shared] shared-ldap is a mess (was: Re: [JNDI] Utility Library)
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:19:01 GMT
Hi all,

Just for the record I'm not trying to slam Ole but all of us for the mess
that is shared-ldap: myself included.  Ole just triggered this thought.

Let  me start by saying shoving code into shared-ldap has to stop.  We have
so much crap in there because many of us don't stop and check if the utility
code we're putting in there has not already been implemented.  So Ole, and
everyone else please check if what you have written is already there.  Learn
what shared-ldap contains and if the junk in there cannot be understood ask
about it.  Demand that the mess gets cleaned up.

shared-ldap is huge.  It's gotten to be the largest artifact we product I
think at this point.  There is vestigial code in there that needs to be
removed as well.  I think when we get to a point where we start to re-factor
somethings we should focus on cleaning up this place.

Before taking on nice little refactoring projects in the server we should
focus on cleaning up this place.  Why?  Because no one wants to clean up
this area since it's not rewarding.

I also don't want to see the rest of the server look like this bad example.
If those who made the mess don't clean it up then the mess spreads to other
places.

Alex