directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Schema] ObjectClass DN Correct?
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:24:15 GMT
Hi Ole

> Thanks Alex,
>
> LDAP Studio is so nice, I'm almost scared to look.

Yeah it's really good stuff.  But don't try to use the schema browser now
because I don't think it pulls the schema of the server.  What you're
looking at in the schema browser are the schema elements in schema files.

Correct me if I am wrong Stefan.

Incidentally, do you know (Stefan?) if LDAP Studio
> has a Schema drill down "Outline View" like the one
> in JXPlorer?  I think in JXPlorer (Just from looking
> at the "Writing Java Objects to ApacheDS Part1" article),
> has a Schema tab, and below it one can drill down into
> the various Schema nodes.  I looked LDAP Studio Schema Browser,
> and noticed the tabs with Schema node categories, and I was thinking
> that it would probably trigger a drill down view in the outline pane...

Yeah again I think you need to know that the schema browser browses the
entities in schema files loaded by the plugin.  It does not display the
schema elements that are in the server that it is connected to.  I think the
LS team will soon display this information as well.

My point to you was to just browse the ou=schema partition which basically
displays the schema elements using a meta schema that describes schema
entities.  It's very easy while browsing this area to understand the
structure of the tree there and infer the schema used.

This area is very much like the system tables in oracle which describe data
types and other schema elements.  We use entries to describe schema entities
here.  This kind of structure is used as the master copy of schema
information in the server.  Changes to these entries will be directly
reflected in the schemaSubentry of the server (cn=schema).  The nice thing
about this structure is that we've parameterized the schema information
rather than leaving it as one big text description.  By doing this you can
use LDAP to more efficiently query the schema information when you cannot do
the same under the schemaSubentry which is the mechanism supported by the
LDAP standard.

Hope your cold gets better soon.  I always chomp on a clove of Raw
> Garlic (It releases a very powerful antibiotic when crushed - has to be
> raw though).  It's also great if people are inviting you to too many
> meetings at work :-)

Oh thanks Ole but I am a vampire so that might not be so good for me.

:)

Regards,
Alex

Thanks,