directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SCHEMA] Can two different LDAP AttributeType's have the same name?
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 05:23:23 GMT
Ole,

> Well,
>
> It does make life simpler when there's one simple rule like that :-)
>
> It's also a little easier to visually track everything like that.
>
> Although now instead of just having an attribute name on an entry like
>
> "baseDN"
>
> we have to call it:
>
> org.apache.tuscany.DASConfig.baseDN

Yep qualify it.  Many schemas usually have some prefix to their schema
entity names.  It makes life easier.

I assume this does not really matter that much,
> because I'm guessing that even though we have
> 200,000,000 entries with the ObjectClass DASConfig,
> org.apache.tuscany.DASConfig.baseDN is not repeated
> 200,000,000 for each entry.  It's only stored on the ObjectClass right?

throw new ParserException( "Unable to comprehend exactly what your concern
is can you elaborate?" );

So the only additional storage incurred is from the values of the entries?

Hmmmm let me see ... you have an objectClass defined right? It has some name
like xyz
and you're asking me what the storage cost is when you have 200M xyz entries
in the server
of that objectClass?

You would have used ~1200Mb of disk just to identify those entries as xyz
objects each costing
say 6 bytes because each entry has an objectClass attribute with the value
xyz.

Does this answer your question?

Alex