directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DAS OID GENERATION] Things that make you go hmmmm
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:19:09 GMT
Hmmmm if you have short terms then this might produce a longer OID string.
Just thinking about the max size of a hashCode value in the number of
digits.  I think it's log 10 (2^32-1) which is what 8 or 9?  So if the term
is small then this might be larger.

More inline ...

> > Good idea Emmanuel.  Permit me to extend on this a bit ...
> >
> > Perhaps instead of getting really long OIDs you can use instead compute
> > a hashCode from the suffix and just concat that as the
> > least significant OID term.  For example:
> >
> > 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2.org.tuscany.das.ldap.config.DASConfig.baseDN
> >
> > Can be the following valid OID if the hashCode for
> > org.tuscany.das.ldap.config.DASConfig.baseDN is 123456:
> >
> > 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2.123456
> >
> > WDYT?
>

> Well, I thought about it, but it may break the 'worldwide' characteristics
> : you can't guaranty that this hashcode will be unique. But if you just
> split each word, and compute an hashcode for each of them, the odds that you
> break rhis rule is 0 :

I don't think so because you've got the PEN prefix.  Then the string you're
taking the hashCode() of will have to be unique no? In combination with the
PEN and the hashCode() I think you're safe wrt collisions.

1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.X.2."org".hashcode()."tuscany".hashcode(). ... etc

SNIP

Alex