directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [LDAP Studio] What do you think about using folder without space?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:19:15 GMT

> The point is that having two different names on different platforms
> (ldapstudio and LdapStudio ) is a burden when you have to write clear
> documentation : you will have to give direction for users. I must say that I
> *hate* fovo where you have little pictures in the margin warning you about
> 'this is for linux only' or 'windows only'...

We already have three different names for the name of the executable
actually.
"LDAP Studio.app" on Mac OS X, "LDAP Studio.exe" and "LDAP Studio" on Linux
and the documentation has already three parts, one for each architecture
explaining how to launch LDAP Studio.

For me there are two different things:
- the name of the project (product)
- the name of the generated executable.

IMO, the name of the project should stay as is LDAP Studio (ldapstudio is
not very sexy as project name).

I also think  the name of the executable should be switched to 'ldapstudio'
on Linux to avoid problems.
But I really don't like the idea of naming LDAP Studio as "ldapstudio" on
Mac and Windows (This is not the way applications are named on those
platforms).

P-A