directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Request] A Interview Request from Syracuse University OSS Research Group
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:29:00 GMT
Qing Li a écrit :

> Dear Directory developers,

Hi Qing, & Yeliz !

> We are Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) research group in
> Syracuse University, USA. (Please see our website:
> http://floss.syr.edu ). I know most of you don?t know us,

We know you ! It was a pleasure to share a couple of lunch and beers in
Austin, and will be another great pleasure to do it again in Amsterdam !
I'm so sorry that I missed Yeliz in Paris last month, but I was barely
able to move, my back was really hurting at the worst moment (Pierre
Arnaud can witness I was in a very bad shape, like a 90 years old man ...)

> but we are  actually ?part of Directory community? now (Quoted from
> Alex :- ))  Last year, we had a great time talking with some of
> Directory  developers-- including Alex, Emmanuel, Ersin, PAM--at
> ApacheCon Austin  2006. We're contacting you know because we would
> like to do an  in-depth interview with the Directory developers.

With great pleasure !

> The main purpose of this interview is to examine the role of shared
> mental models (shared understanding) in work practices,

Ahhhh... I thought you wanted to analyze our dead brains when sharing
beers :)

> i.e., the way  people coordinate, communicate, learn and make
> decisions, and the way  such models emerge within Directory team. In
> particular, the interview  will be focused on five elements, namely
> the history of the project,  the project aspects considered as
> peculiar, the adopted work practices  and the way each team member
> perceives his/her role and the role  played by other members.

Very interesting. We are pleased to be your guinea-pigs !

> We have already mentioned our research to Alex. He is very supportive
> of it and asked us to post this request in the public developer list
> to attract extensive participation.

Yes, this is very importnat as this is the way we make our community
growing : by voting new committers based on individuals activity,
interest, and commitment. This can be summed up in one word : 'merit'.

> The whole interview will take  about 20-30 minutes and can be
> conducted by phone, Skype or  face-to-face (for the developers
> attending ApacheCon Europe in  Amsterdam). The results will be
> presented we hope at a future  ApacheCon and in other academic
> conferences. We will be very  appreciative of your kindness if you are
> willing to provide some time  to attend our interview : -) . We?d like
> to share any interesting  findings with your team after conducting the
> analysis.

We are also interested to know better the way we successfully gathered
as a team, all of us being totally different, leaving in different
countries, having different ages, different culturs, different skin
colors, speaking different languages, practicing (or not) different
religions and being of different sex (well, only 2 flavors :). This just
shows that all those differences means nothing, or much better, this
addition of differences helps to create a better project. If only this
could be experienced at a wider level in this crazy world ... Ok, let's
focus on the project, we only have 20 minutes each ;)

> If you are interested in the research and willing to be interviewed,
> please contact us: Qing Li (qli03@syr.edu) and Yeliz Eseryel
> (yeliz2002@gmail.com). We are very happy to provide more information
> for you.

CU in Amsterdam !