directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: [DAS] Type's ObjectClass Entry
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:28:13 GMT
Hi Ole,

as Emmanuel I would recommend to create objectClasses and attributeTypes
for each user defined class.

Do you already have a plan how to store references between objects in
LDAP? There are different strategies.

For example you could use distinguished names to implement references.

Say, there are two POJOs Employee and Department:
class Employee
{
  String firstName;
  String lastName;
  Department department;
}

class Department
{
  String departmentName
  List<Employee> employees;
}

Then two concrete objects could be stored like that in LDAP:
cn=12345678,ou=Employee,ou=das,dc=example,dc=com
cn: 12345678
givenName: John
sn: Doe
department: cn=23456789,ou=Department,ou=das,dc=example,dc=com

cn=23456789,ou=Department,ou=das,dc=example,dc=com
cn: 23456789
departmentName: Development
employee: cn=12345678,ou=Employee,ou=das,dc=example,dc=com
employee: cn=12345679,ou=Employee,ou=das,dc=example,dc=com
employee: cn=12345680,ou=Employee,ou=das,dc=example,dc=com
employee: .....

That is just one alternative. But it is really important to design this
properly. I think Alex and David Jencks discussed such strategies some
time ago.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann