directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on schema elements in documentation: OIDs for examples?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:28:12 GMT
Hi Stefan,

It looks really good.  I'll probably we frequenting that when I need
reminders.  :-)

Also, I found Emmanuel's tip for browsing the Schema partition
(by adding an ou=schema connection) to LDAP studio really handy.

I'm not done reading yet, but I started with this:

The schema of an LDAP server is comprised of object classes, attributes,
syntaxes and matching rules. Basically it defines which entries are
allowed within the server and how the server should handle them. In
contrast to the 1.0 release, ApacheDS 1.5.0 comes with a completely
redesigned schema subsystem. It allows to dynamically update the schema,
for instance it is possible to create new attribute types or object
classes on the fly, i.e. without restarting the server.

Here's another attempt:

The schema of an LDAP server is a set of entries of the following types:
- ObjectClass
- AttributeType,
- Syntax
- MatchingRule

The first three types of entries are used to the schema rules /
structure of other stored in the server.  ApacheDS 1.5.0 comes with a
completely redesigned schema subsystem. It enables dynamic schema
updates, like the creation of new AttributeType or ObjectClass entries
at runtime.

I still need to figure out MatchingRule entries...:-)

I think the only thing that needed grammatic fixing was this part:

It allows to dynamically update the schema,

The rest is just a suggestion.

Cheers,
- Ole