directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Question on schema elements in documentation: OIDs for examples?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:52:12 GMT
Hi all!

I have started a little text for newbies on how to add custom elements
to the schema with the help of the new schema subsystem of ApacheDS.
First of all: I works fine to add elements with standard JNDI methods,
well done, Alex!

My first attempts for the text can be found here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Add+your+first+elements+to+the+schema

I plan to make this an introduction section to the schema topic in the
Advanced User's Guide of ApacheDS 1.5, although there is obviously still
some work to do. Any feedback on the current structure and state of the
section is therefore highly appreciated! I am a newbie on this schema
subsystem as well.

The section is build around an example of adding a custom attribute type
(numberOfGuns) and a custom object class (ship) to the schema in order
to add entries like this one for instance:

dn: cn=HMS Victory,ou=ships,o=sevenSeas
objectClass: top
objectClass: ship
cn: HMS Victory
numberOfGuns: 104
and 1765

For adding numberOfGuns and ship to the schema I have to use OIDs, but I
think it is not worth to register them officially below
1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.

Should I use obvious fun data like 9.9.9.9.9.1 and 9.9.9.9.9.2, describe
the idea of OIDs and that a user should normally obtain a unique
starting point?

Or should I use something which starts with 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0 and add
it on the list. Perhaps we can add a branch for documentation examples.

What do you think?
Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan Zoerner (szoerner)