directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [CONSTANTS] Changing AT and OC
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:15:14 GMT
Ole Ersoy wrote:
> If everyone is cool with it, I'll go ahead and
> update the interfaces so that:
>
> AT > ATTRIBUTE
> OC > OBJECT_CLASS
>
> and recommit.
>
> Sound ok?

Although I am also still a newbie within the code, I do not like to
change the constant names. They are defined in public
interfaces/classes, and we do not know whether there are users out there
which use these constants in their custom partitions, custom
interceptors etc.
For instance the public class
org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.constants.SchemaConstants
is in no way marked as internal API.

If we rename the constants, we have at least to leave them with the old
names in the class, mark them as deprecated in order to give these
ApacheDS users a chance to refactor their code, and remove them in a
later release.

I see no benefit in renaming the constants which corresponds to the
effort related with this mandatory process.

By the way, I like "TOP_OBJECT_CLASS" better than "TOP_OC", my personal
favorite would be "TOP_OBJECTCLASS", but as Emmanuel already pointed
out: It works, so why should we change it? "TOP_OC" is clear enough,
although it lacks javadoc (which could be "name of objectClass top").

Greetings,
     Stefan