directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q: 1.5.0 custom partition + custom schema?
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:35:49 GMT
Hi Mark,

Mark Swanson a écrit :

> <snip/>
> I really must say that I'm very impressed with everything so far. The
> only thing that briefly tripped me up is that the
> LockableAttributesImpl is case insensitive by default - whereas
> BasicAttributes is case sensitive by default. This actually breaks
> some things. Some of the Apacheds code is hard coded to use
> 'objectclass' instead of 'objectClass'.

I think this has been fixed in 1.0.2 (not released yet, but will be
soon). BasicAttributesImpl is case insensitive because attributeTypes
are case insensitive. We have had a lot of problems with
BasicAttributes, because if you forget to set it to case insensitive,
you may have some very tricky bugs if you use uppercased names. As a ule
of thumb, you should always use AttributesImpl inside the server.

> It's a very minor point - so minor I didn't even bother to mention it
> when I first ran into it. But since you asked.. :-)

It's not so minor ! Thanks to raise this point, I think we should add
some clear warnings about them, because they are thise little things
that make you lose a *lot* of time :)

> <snip/>
>
> I created an in-memory partition to test the overhead of ApacheDS and
> did some profiling. I didn't post any of it because I figured it would
> be obsolete (1.0 codebase). If you are interested in such data let me
> know and I'll post some of it from time to time to the list.

Oh, man, we *are* interested ! There is not so much difference between
1.0 and 1.5 when it comes to partition, and trust me, we are very
interested in spendning some time porting a in-memory partition to 1.5!
So feel free to push it to us :) We are also interested by any kind of
profiling sessions results.

Thanks a lot for using ADS ! What you did with the partition is
something we didn't had time to do, and we are really interested to
expose such a piece of work to the community.
We are also very eager to grow our little project and community, so if
you feel like participate to it, this will be a pleasure for us !

Emmanuel