directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Mehmet D. Akın" <mda...@pardus.org.tr>
Subject Re: [LDAPStudio]LDAP core functions
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:08:23 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote On 10-04-2007 22:36:
> Hi Mehmet,
>

>> We are planning to write a management application in which we need to
>> manipulate and query data on a LDAP server. Things like user, groups
>> computer and software configurations  will be in the repository and our
>> program will be a graphical user interface to manipulate and query these
>> specific data. (Something like Microsoft's Active directory console, but
>> ours will be for a Linux distro..)
>>
>> LDAP Studio provides perfect schema definition and querying
>> capabilities. and it allready has lots of boilerplate code like ldif,
>> query and schema parsers. What I am asking is, Is it possible to use
>> this core functions out of the studio, There are some LDAP Java SDK's
>> like OpenLDAP Java SDK, Mozilla's LDAP SDK etc. I am quite confused by
>> options here. Would it makes sense writing our schema editor modules as
>> Eclipse plugins and deploy them with LDAP Studio , there by having both
>> low level access to LDAP and specific management GUI's for our own schema?
>>

> First the bad news: It is not possible to use the
> ldapstudio-browser-core outside of Eclipse. This is because all the I/O
> operations are interacting with the Eclipse Jobs API.
>
> However if you plan to write your GUI as Eclipse/SWT plugins it would
> make sense to use the ldapstudio-browser-core plugins. Because it also
> provides a good integration with the Eclispe Job API (which enables a
> non-blocking GUI while performing I/O operations).
>
> On the other hand, sadly, the ldapstudio-browser-core wasn't designed to
> be used by other plugins. The API is *NOT* stable and it isn't well
> documented yet. We would change some thinks, for example we would
> replace the internal schema parser by the shared-ldap schema parser that
> is able to handle advanced schema elements like nameForms and
> ditContentRules.
>
> So if you are interested in following Alex' suggestion we could try to
> improve the core plugin to be used by other plugins. (Also our Schemas
> Editor plugin could use it to edit the schema in the server online) I
> will start to describe the architecture of the core plugin, so we could
> discuss how to improve it:
> http://directory.apache.org/ldapstudio/ldap-studio-architecture.html
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

Thanks for all the replies.

We are in evaluation phase, and dont have much time to deliver something
at least functional on some areas. We are also considering using
OpenLDAP SDK and a simple swing (or swt, web?) GUI or maybe something
with Python and pyQT.

I would like to work with LDAP Studio project on improving things and
adding this new functionality,  but if I am not mistaken, current state
of the code might take some time to be suitable for us. Maybe I should
try a simplest plugin that uses mentioned functionality and see if it is
feasible.

I haven't examined code deeply, but wouldnt it make sense to seperate
model code from view a bit further , even taking all of it outside as a
shared jar , therefore providing functionality to external third parties
and guys like us :)

best regards

Mehmet D. AKIN
Pardus Linux