directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LDAPStudio]LDAP core functions
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:36:16 GMT
Hi Mehmet,

> We are planning to write a management application in which we need to
> manipulate and query data on a LDAP server. Things like user, groups
> computer and software configurations  will be in the repository and our
> program will be a graphical user interface to manipulate and query these
> specific data. (Something like Microsoft's Active directory console, but
> ours will be for a Linux distro..)
>
> LDAP Studio provides perfect schema definition and querying
> capabilities. and it allready has lots of boilerplate code like ldif,
> query and schema parsers. What I am asking is, Is it possible to use
> this core functions out of the studio, There are some LDAP Java SDK's
> like OpenLDAP Java SDK, Mozilla's LDAP SDK etc. I am quite confused by
> options here. Would it makes sense writing our schema editor modules as
> Eclipse plugins and deploy them with LDAP Studio , there by having both
> low level access to LDAP and specific management GUI's for our own schema?

First the bad news: It is not possible to use the
ldapstudio-browser-core outside of Eclipse. This is because all the I/O
operations are interacting with the Eclipse Jobs API.

However if you plan to write your GUI as Eclipse/SWT plugins it would
make sense to use the ldapstudio-browser-core plugins. Because it also
provides a good integration with the Eclispe Job API (which enables a
non-blocking GUI while performing I/O operations).

On the other hand, sadly, the ldapstudio-browser-core wasn't designed to
be used by other plugins. The API is *NOT* stable and it isn't well
documented yet. We would change some thinks, for example we would
replace the internal schema parser by the shared-ldap schema parser that
is able to handle advanced schema elements like nameForms and
ditContentRules.

So if you are interested in following Alex' suggestion we could try to
improve the core plugin to be used by other plugins. (Also our Schemas
Editor plugin could use it to edit the schema in the server online) I
will start to describe the architecture of the core plugin, so we could
discuss how to improve it:
http://directory.apache.org/ldapstudio/ldap-studio-architecture.html

Regards,
Stefan