directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][Partition] Using surrogate keys for attributeType aliases and objectClass aliases (was Re: [SCHEMA] Can two different LDAP AttributeType's have the same name?)
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:50:17 GMT
Ole Ersoy a écrit :

> So the Normalized form is always minimized?

I think we already answered this question. This is really common sense.

>> For performance reasons, we should not compute the normalized form
>> each time we do a search operation, this will kill the server. keep
>> in mind that a ldap server is 99,99% read, and less tha 0,01write.
>

> Although once the DAS gets done, people could start using
> ADS as an RDB.

A ldap server is *not* a RDB. Whatever you use it for, this is a
hierarchical database.

> <snip/>
>
>> So it definitively worth the price to spend a *lot* of time writing
>> twice the data in to different forms than do a computation for each
>> search. Adding entries in ADS is 10 to 20 times slower than reading
>> them.
>

> Is that because they are written to many different forms during the
> one write.
>
> It would be neat if it could just write one form. per configuration,
> assuming a certain usage scenario.

It's up to you : just don't add indices. But then performance will suck
big time. For every search not using an index, the cost is a full scan.
There is no free beer.

Emmanuel