directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][Partition] Using surrogate keys for attributeType aliases and objectClass aliases (was Re: [SCHEMA] Can two different LDAP AttributeType's have the same name?)
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 23:09:05 GMT

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ole Ersoy a écrit :
>
> It's not theorical, it's real life.

Yes - The transactional data is :-)

I should have defined it a little better.

What I mean by that is what is the minimum
size of an entry considering only the fixed parts
or the keys of the entry effectively + anything
else that is needed to manage the entry that has
to be stored in memory.

>> So what can be done to minimize the size?
>
> Nothing.

So what that then means is that the structural component of
an entry is always minimized within ApacheDS?

So when I'm using JNDI to update an attribute, and the
key of my Attribute is
"com.example.blah.blah.blah.blah.blah.blahblah.blahhhhhhh.something"
ApacheDS takes that key and turns it into the shortest possible number
it can before storing it?

But is this really important ? Just think about the 80/20 rule
> (and it's much closer to a 95/5) : 20 percent of all entries will be
> accessed 80% of time. A good cache will usually gives you the same
> result (or close to) as if you put everything in memory. This is very
> basic IT theory...

Yes - Totally - For search operations that type of tweaking is awesome
and effective.  It applies to Supply Chain Applications some times, and
other times all the data is fair game.  For instance
the application might be calculating Optimal Inventory Figures for all
SKUs and and wants to do the run "Superfast", so it wants all the data
in memory.

>> I think the Alex's mail and your link drive
>> into that, so I'll try to consolidate those materials.
>
> One more principle you should try to follow, as a general rule of thumb
> : KISS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle). Complexity and
> over-engineered solution simply fail to meet any target ... When it
> works for 1000 entries, it should be possible to make it work for 10
> 000. When it fails for 10 000, the odds are that it will also fail for
> 1000...

Yes - I usually go for 1 first, then pump it up :-)
I like the band too.

>> If anyone else has thoughts, I'll take them!
>
> Here you are !

Thanks Man,
- Ole