directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DAS OID GENERATION] Things that make you go hmmmm
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:09:07 GMT
Ole Ersoy a écrit :

> Ah - That throws a fork wrench in my current planning.
>
> Can we change the specification so that we can have characters :-)
>
> OK - that brings up a different more serious question then.
> Does ADS have the ability to assign an OID, sort of like
> automatic surrogate key generation in RDBs?
>
> For instance I may wish to store an attributeType with the
> following description:
>
> "org.tuscany.das.ldap.config.DASConfig.baseDN"
>
> Can ApacheDS assign the OID, thus freeing the DAS of that responsibility?

Nope... OIDs are supposed to be unique, worldwide ! This may looks like
impossible to manage, but as you have you PEN, you can workaround this
problem. Just store somwhere in the server the current number, or the
last used number. You grab it, do your homework (insert your objects),
and store the incremented number.

Otherwise, it could be interesting to add a trigger in the server to
auto-increment the OID after each insertion in a specific position (this
is something possible : we support triggers)

SO you have options, but we should discuss them.

The best thing you can do is to assume that ADS can assign OIDs,
whatever soltuion we will have to use to support this feature.

Emmanuel

("If there is no solution, then the problem suddenly vanishes ...")