directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Documentation] Partition Concept - Sound OK?
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:05:37 GMT
Thanks for hanging in there Emmanuel and Stefan :-)

I think (Hope :-) ) the lights are starting to burn
a little brighter over here.

So this statement:

Multiple partitions may exist, the entry trees they contain are
disconnected to each other.

Means that:
- We can have multiple partitions within ApacheDS.
- Entries contained in one partition do not reference entries in another
partition, either directly or indirectly (A points to B, C points to B,
hence C points to A)?
- An entry in partition A can be a copy of an entry in partition B

So I'm assuming disconnected means that changing any entry
in partition A, will never affect any entry in partition B.

If that is the case then I still think the entries are
mutually exclusive.

In the same sense that copies are mutually exclusive.

We can make a copy of a source, name it target,
and change target.  Changing the target has no effect
on the source, so they are mutually exclusive.

I'm just trying to zoom in on what disconnected means...

Thoughts?

I know these things are defined all over the place, In other
tutorials etc.  I personally prefer that we have our own
concept section where we define concepts, such that we can:
- link to them whenever a concept is being used in a document
- Easily update the source per comments / suggestions, per a change in
the concept

Cheers,
- Ole

P.S.  I managed to log onto the wiki, so I'll start updating
grammer/english stuff.  I'll only change how an idea/concept is
communicated if we first
agree on it.