directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Documentation] Partition Suffix Documentation Update
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:23:31 GMT
>> Adding Own Partition Suffix Documentation
>> Here:
>> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/14-basic-configuration-tasks.html#1.4.Basicconfigurationtasks-Addingyourownpartition%2528suffix%2529

>> says the following in the beginning:
>>
>> In ApacheDS entries are stored in partitions, each partition contains
>> a complete entry tree. Multiple partitions may exist, the entry trees
>> they contain are disconnected to each other.
>>
>> Should it be stated like this?

At a minimum we need to change:

FROM]
are disconnected to each other

TO]
are disconnected from each other.

Personally I prefer:
[SUGGESTION] Partitions contain mutually exclusive sets of entries.

> I think this sentence is clear.
>

>> In ApacheDS a set of entries
>> forming a directory tree
>> is contained in partition.
>> The root of the directory tree is the partition.
>
> No. A partition is not the root of a directory tree. A partition is like
> a mounted file system

If a file system is mounted at the root so that all files in the file
system are visible, then is it the same?

It sounds like a partition could be a proxy to an entry in an other
directory.  So the proxy would point to an entry that is not at the
root of the directory tree that contains the entry, and in this case
the partition would not be the root of the real directory tree?

Although from the point of view of the DirContext attaching to
ApacheDS's partition y, partition y is the root right?  We can't
go any higher than y?

Or will ApacheDS enable hopping above the entry y, with retrieval of
other entries from the parents of entry y?

> : it has a name, which is the suffix, but it
> describe all the entries it contains. By extension, when we are talking
> about "partition x=y", that means "the partition which suffix is x=y".
>
>> ApacheDS comes with 3 partitions (Also referred to as partition
>> suffixes) by default:
>> cn=schema
>> ou=system
>> dc=example, dc=org

Are these all the root of their corresponding directory tree?

> That's correct (and I think we can add it in 1.5 doco : 1.0 does not
> have a cn=schema partition)
>

>> I'll be glad to update these, just point me to the source.
>
> Just click on the top right little grey icon of each page on the web
> site, you will gain access to the edit page. If ypu can't do that, then
> we can add you to the list of people allowed to update the
> documentation. Just tell us.

OK - I'll try it out.  Thanks.
- Ole