directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [Terminology] Partition?
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 09:38:44 GMT
Ole Ersoy wrote:
> When we talk about a partition we are talking about
> something like
>
> DN: ou=system right?

Hi Ole!

One thing I miss in the discussion is the fact that Partition is also an
Interface (ApacheDS specific) to an entry storage (in package
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition).
ApacheDS comes with a default implementation based on JDBM. Most users
use this and configure it with MutableBTreePartitionConfiguration in the
server.xml file or programmatically.  But experienced users can program
their own implementations based on the storage system of their choice. A
partition could also be a proxy to another LDAP servers naming context.

Thus partition is primarily a concept specific to ApacheDS which
abstracts from the concrete physical storage implementation. LDAP
clients are not aware of partitions. They only know which naming
contexts exist (query the RootDSE).

By the way: Netscape Directory Server (and along with it Sun, Fedora
etc.) has a comparable concept. But they call a partition "suffix" or
"database".

Greetings,
    Stefan